Known as Chatini Pomme D’amour in Mauritius, Tomato chutney is loved by many and is undoubtedly one healthy mini dish. I absolutely love tomato chutney too. It can be eaten as a starter, as accompaniment to other dishes such as fried rice, biryani or Bol renverse or with rice and curry. The good thing is that you don’t even need gas or an oven to make it, it is as simple as cutting all the ingredients and mixing it all with proper seasoning.
Did you know that ?
– Lycopene found in tomatoes help to reduce cardiovascular diseases
– Tomatoes actually help to protect the eye and improve the vision
– Plus it provides the body with loads of vitamins and minerals and helps to control diabetes
– It can to some extent eliminate toxins in the body from smoking
– It is good for the digestive system and prevents formation of kidney stones
Chopper chop my tomatoes
This is a product from the Concept Brand of Yves Rocher that I used for the tomato chutney. I do use chopping board a lot but this product is ideal for the recipe. It chops the tomatoes and onions in just a few minutes and the size is even which enhance the look.
- 8 small tomatoes (4 if using the big tomatoes)
- 1 medium onion
- 2 small green chili (totally up to you as per your preferences)
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp vinegar or lemon juice
- Salt to taste
- Chop the tomatoes, chili, onion and coriander finely
- Mix it all in a big bowl
- Season with olive oil, salt and lemon juice, Voila it's ready!
You may also add diced capsicum to it.
A different version of the chutney is to first boil the tomatoes. Afterwards you take off the peel and mash them. You add the chopped onion and coriander to it and finish with seasoning.
My favourite way of eating Tomato Chutney is with bread, the normal french loaf, as a starter. It is very similar to Bruschetta.
And what is your favourite way of eating tomato?
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading this post, thank you for dropping by.