“Stuff your eyes with wonder, live as if you’d drop dead in ten seconds. See the world. It’s more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories.” – Ray Bradbury
My study trip to London has been a marvelous life-changing experience for me and changed my perspective on a number of things. I’m sure you agree with me that life is short and sometimes it is meant to be lived on a ”tomorrow may never come” basis. Travelling is a great way to escape mediocrity.
I’ve compiled a few reasons why travelling is the best gift you can give to yourself.
- It is one of the ideal ways to build connections and make friends. Who knows you can make friends for life. What is most important behind this is the learning process, you get to know about other cultures and glimpse of their lifestyles and cuisines.
- You get to know the real you, you are a lot more stronger than you think. You will face many challenges when you travel especially when you are on your own. These challenges however will help you grow and face your fears. Like, I never go out at night by myself in Mauritius while it was always easy for me to walk the streets of London alone at 10 or 11 pm even though the thought of it scared me to death initially reading about the increasing crime rate in the world.
- Likewise travelling helps you to become independent. (E.g you become automatically independent when you learn to carry your own grocery bags and walk till your apartment in – degrees freezing weather, cook for yourself or wash your clothes. Trust me these are all nice feelings and little achievements).
- Strengthen the bond with family
Your parents learn to trust you even more with your life decisions, it significantly reduces the age gap and distance between your parents & you. It is easier to share personal things with them.
- Money management
Travelling is expensive but with proper planning and money management strategies, it becomes affordable. I learnt how the worth of each penny and that I should keep purchase receipts for Tax refund.
- Travelling acts as a guide and give your life a direction, you learn to take better decisions. It is easier to let go of the things you’ve been holding since long and this makes you a happier person (check out my post on ways to be happy when the blues hit). Have you heard about the old couple, tea sellers, in India who have traveled to 17 countries for the love of travelling.
- It makes you a more interesting person because now you got more stories to tell.
- In addition travelling increases your general knowledge, it is a good source of education. I learn about a lot of interesting stories and facts when I travel for example the story behind Green Park etc. Travelling also help with improving your language skills. It gives you a reason to start learning a new language, for instance I am learning Spanish and shall start learning German soon, by the way Duolingo is the best free website to learn any language. (Check it out)
- Besides many people have made travelling a way to earn money, let’s take Brooke from World of Wonderlust, she started by taking a Europe trip and to writing books, a great blog & now owning her own little cafe.
- Oh hey you might find love abroad. No, it didn’t happen to me so far but we never know when it can happen.
”The number of ways you can live in one lifetime is limitless. So why limit yourself? The sky is not the limit. Beyond the universe is.” – Suzy Kassem
To sum up, there are infinite benefits of travelling, so why hold on ?
“Not all those who wander are lost.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
Seek out to the world.
I hope you’ve enjoyed reading this post, thank you for dropping by.